George Family 2014

George Family 2014
George Family 2014

Monday, April 12, 2010

Adventure Youth Camp
Chris and I took the teens on a 34 hour camp down south to a state forest park. Perth was hit with a really bad storm two weeks ago, and since we had the rain the water levels have been up.And, they were up high enough for us to canoe down the Murray river. We used Dunnies (out houses), slept in tents, and the teens that went had a blast. In the end we only had three come with us! But, what an opportunity for Chris and I to share our lives and build bonds with these teens. We had been studying at youth group fears! And, this camping trip was a perfect way for us to end term 1. The park also raised the fire ban so we were able to have a campfire. All of these kids had never gone camping this far out in the bush before.Here in Oz you cannot get stuff to have smores. So, Chris and I made our own Australian version and shared them with the teens. We had a quokka and also a kangaroo, visit our campsite. we HAD NO SNAKES!, which was my biggest fear. And, we had a wonderful time. I was exhausted. I feel really "OLD!" when I only get three hours of sleep!
About canoeing. We had many things we had to face while going down the river. All canoes here are made out of bendable HEAY plastic. Good thing. Because the water was Black and you could not see any rocks in the water! We did not do any grade two or three rapids. But, we did do a grade one! And, I will post the video if I can get it to upload becuase it is hilarious! Then, we had to put our canoes under a log while we climbed over it, and one spot we all had to get out and balance on a log while we put the canoe over a log that was just sticking out of the water. IT was an adventure for sure and the whole time I had brayden strapped to the front of me in a baby bjorn. So, it was quite the journey. Thank you for your prayers. Two of the teens that did go on this trip are new to the YG and it was AWESOME for Chris and I to build relationships with them. Those two teens are planning on helping us at VBS next week. So, God is moving in hearts and doing things Chris and I never expected!

No comments: